The story of a wild cat.

By evan on May 17, 2016
Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 2.31.54 AM

The kitten and I

Ever find a wounded animal outside, and actually try to help them? I mean take them home, feed them, etc.

Don’t. Because it will bite you in the ass. Not the animal, he was an affectionate little kitten. No I mean the raving lunatics that frequent /r/halifax. Someone accused me 2 years after the fact of abusing a kitten, and if you know me at all, that’s obscenely ridiculous.

If I’m guilty of anything it’s giving a shit.

Here’s what actually happened.

I was visiting my grandmothers in late summer 2014. My wife and I were outside in the yard when we came across a wild (note I said wild, not feral, there’s a difference) kitten laying with it’s back to us. My wife (being the cat whisperer that she is) tried to coax him over and he turned around.

And then she screamed in terror.

Two days after we found him, to when he left us.

Two days after we found him, to when he left us. I dare say that’s progress.

The kitten, the first time we saw him, looked like death incarnate. Bloody face, one eye was swollen the size of a ping pong ball and they were both glued shut with pus, wheezing, and he was skin and bones. And as bad as he looked, he prances over and starts nestling our legs. You know, that thing cats do to be affectionate? The kitten doesn’t realize he’s an abomination; he just wants to play.

I asked my grandmother about the kitten when we went inside. I guess the mother died, and the kitten was more or less on his own. We took him some food and water, and made a bed for him in the basement (cats come in and out of there at will, the door stays open) and started to wipe out his eye with saline and water. He didn’t particularly like that at first, but it really helped.

The kitten followed us around all weekend, every time we went outside he was waiting for us.

When it came time to go home, we couldn’t leave him. So we brought him home, back to Halifax. We knew the kitten was sick. But he was just too affectionate, and adorable to leave there.

There was no way he would have lasted another week.

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 2.38.09 AM

About a week in

We brought him into our home.

I was unemployed at the time. I had been laid off for about three months, and was starting a new job in a month. So money was tight. We called the SPCA to see what help was available, nothing. Vets were worse, even snotty that we dared ask.

We now had a sick kitten, no money, and no help. We fed him as much as he would eat, bathed him, and we cleaned his eyes every couple hours, and after a few days one was actually open and he could see. It’s clear here his left eye was very bad as well. The swelling came down on the other, and opened, but the eye was just grey. It was gone when we found him. This is important.

We have two cats at home, one that was originally a wild cat from my grandmothers that we met in much the same way. The other was from a pet store in Dartmouth. They were about 5 years old and 3 years old. They really don’t like strange cats in the house, so at first we kept him in our bedroom. That’s also important. After a few weeks he was much stronger, putting weight on, one eye was great, the other was still grey. His face, though stained, was clean. He was happy.

We got him help.

We knew something had to happen with his eye though. It was gone, there’s nothing we, or anyone else could have done to save it. He needed a vet, and we didn’t have money, family willing to pitch in, or credit cards to borrow against. We were quite literally poor.

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 2.39.58 AM

Eating on his own

My wife suggested we post online looking for help, to see what options might be out there. I did, I posted on facebook, twitter, reddit, looking for information.

Someone replied on reddit telling me she was a vet assistant, and could get him help. I was more or less looking for programs or something to get strays medical attention, but this was perfect.

I exchanged details with the user and we met at Superstore with the kitten. I gave her the litter box we had, a weeks worth of food, some new litter, and that was it. He had a real home, he was going to get help. She sends me an update a few days later thanking me for everything I did (I still have the emails) and tells me her parents are going to pay for the eye surgery and adopt him.

Everyone lives happily ever after.

Fast-forward nearly two years.

I’ve removed the rest of this post. Apparently naming and shaming the psychopaths involved was taken as a threat. The same psychopaths that have literally threatened me multiple times over the course of months.

Nicole Pettipas aka Candy_B_Pants aka Minnie_Mazola, and Dwaine Dixon aka Musekal: You’re not anonymous. It’s getting to the point where I have no choice but to get the police involved. I can’t do this anymore. Just stop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *